Week Four

Week four started off with me exhausted trying to recover from my long weekend of walking, so I wasn't the most energetic. On Monday the team sat together for the day working on some controls tasks. It was nice to be sitting with everyone again, even if we didn't talk much. I also enjoyed getting assigned some work. On Tuesday and Wednesday I got assigned a couple of tasks that took me a couple of hours to complete. On Thursday and Friday no one had any work for me to do, probably because everyone was getting ready for our week-long firm shutdown the week of the 4th of July. So, I took the opportunity to learn more about the Insurance practice. I read about how climate change will affect the industry and about the processes of insurance and the difference between health insurance and healthcare. I feel like I gained a better understanding of the industry and will be able to relate that to the work I do.

On Thursday I had lunch with a first-year associate and talked with him about his experiences on the team. He said he enjoyed working on an insurance client because you get to see everything including investments and insurance. We talked about our team and the timeline of the audit. He said busy season was really hard for him because he was working on a first-time audit. It won't be as hard for me because I will have prior year to look back on. It was nice catching up with him and getting a new perspective about the client and the work. He also talked about some programming he was working on and the importance of technology in the audit.

After lunch I decided to learn more about Alteryx and Excel so that I can apply that once I start full time. I learned how to make a dashboard on Excel which is comprised of different ways to visualize data. I spent the next day and a half practicing what I learned and even applying it to my on-campus job at Ohio State. I felt a lot more productive this week as I was learning a lot of new things that were applicable to the job.

At the end of the internship, I will have to sit down with my Career Coach and discuss if I like working on this client. I will have to decide if I like the insurance industry and if I like working on a smaller team. In order to decide this, I need to start shadowing other clients and lines of service. I'm interested in advisory down the line and it would be helpful to learn more about that practice. I would also like to know what it's like to be on a larger team. I like the people on my team but I don't think I would feel fulfilled working with them full time as it seems everyone likes to be on their own. Maybe that will change in the next couple of weeks. My internship is almost halfway over and I'm starting to panic because I feel like I don't have a grip on what I want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7

Welcome!

Impact at Disney World