NYC Adventures

On the weekdays I often come home exhausted and wanting nothing more but to lay in bed and watch TV. There was only one day my roommates and I were able to get out and do something. We went to 2 Bros, a pizza place that sold $1 pizza and ate it in a park with a nice view of the Flatiron Building. We then took a quick stroll up to the Empire State Building and through Korea Town. It was my first mini adventure in the city.

The weekends is when I have time and energy to do bigger excursions. My first Saturday in New York I spent with my three roommates. We went shopping for business clothes in the morning but found nothing but old lady suits. In the evening we walked the High Line and ended up in Hudson Yards. It was a nice walk that had great views of the city and the Hudson River. We watched the sunset on the river and I loved how the sun reflected off the glass buildings.

The next day my two friends from college met up and had a long day of walking and exploring. We started in SoHo and made our way to Chinatown for lunch then Little Italy for gelato. Then we started our long walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Walking across the bridge gave us great views of the skyline. When we got to Brooklyn we went to DUMBO and took pictures of the Manhattan Bridge peeking out between two buildings then walked along the river and found a mini rocky beach that had a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge with the Manhattan skyline in the background. We walked around a bit more in Brooklyn but it was very hot and we were all tired so we took the subway back to the city for dinner. It was very exhausting but we covered a lot of ground.

The next Saturday the three of us set off on another adventure in Lower Manhattan. We first went to the 9/11 memorial and museum. The museum was very emotional and devastating. I often had to stop myself from thinking about what it would be like to be in their position because thinking about it was too sad. Even though I was only three at the time, the attacks on 9/11 have always affected me. After the museum we walked around the Financial District and saw Wall Street, where George Washington was inaugurated, Alexander Hamilton's, grave, and the charging bull statue. We then took a ferry across the river to Governors Island. Being on Governors Island was a much needed break from the loud and crowded city. We skipped through the streets and laid in the grass. When I closed my eyes and smelled the grass I was instantly transported to my front lawn. New York is so different from Ohio and being on the island reminded me what it was like to be home. We walked around the island for a while, climbing on the playgrounds, and enjoying the views of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. We took a lot of pictures then headed back to the city where we went to Dō, a cookie dough shop and ate it in Washington Square Park. It was a long day filled with heavy emotions of 9/11 and a needed escape from the city.

The following day I spent by myself walking around Central Park. I walked past the big lake and sat on the Met steps. I saw the oculus and then sat and read next to an open field where people were playing and picnicking with their friends and families. I had plans to walk around more but it started raining so I called it a day and went back to my dorm. Central Park was a nice escape from the concrete. Being surrounded by trees and bugs was something I haven't experienced for weeks.

New York has proved to be a very diverse place. Every part I visit is different. I feel like I've done a lot but I know I could never see every part of the city. It's getting easier to get around and I'm enjoying having a routine. It makes things a lot less overwhelming. New York doesn't yet feel like home but I am hoping that will come with time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7

Welcome!

Impact at Disney World