Week 10

My final week as a PwC intern was pretty busy. On Monday I listened to a webcast hosted by Becker to give us more information and tips about the CPA. I learned a lot of things I didn't know before and now I feel more prepared to start the process. Currently, my plan is to start studying a couple hours a week during the spring semester and take my first exam once I graduate. Then, I'll take the other three exams over the summer. I want to stay in Columbus from Monday to Thursday during the summer so I can study at the library without getting distracted at home. PwC also pays for the Becker books and resources which is a big help.

After that call I went into a short meeting to talk about the walkthrough I'm going to sit in on on Thursday. I couldn't really follow the whole thing but it was my first look into what a walkthrough will be like and the type of questions to ask.

On Tuesday morning we had an intern breakfast which included a panel. The DA that helped me with my workflow was there and he talked about how after four years of being an auditor he hit a breaking point and went into HR asking if there was an opportunity for him. Through that he got his new job as a DA. I related to his story because I know that I don't want to be in auditing forever so hearing the story of someone who was able to do something else within the firm made me feel like I could do something similar. Everyone else on the panel gave their own experiences and answered a lot of questions. It seems like no one really likes insurance but they all stuck around because they like their teams and don't know if they would like another market better. Everyone agreed to take the CPA before starting full time and to treat studying like a full time job. I liked this panel because everyone was very candid about their experiences. They weren't trying to sell us anything they just wanted our questions to be answered.

On Wednesday I went to an all day training event for digital upskilling. I learned more about what the firm is doing in terms of digitizing the audit and got to see a lot of new tools that are in development that will probably be launched by the time I start full time. There was a game throughout the day on our phones and I actually did pretty well. After the event there was a happy hour. I stayed longer than I thought I would and hung out with some of my intern friends. I walked around to see if I could find people on my team but they all left early. It was really fun and it made me even more excited for Disney.

Thursday morning I joined the walkthrough call. It was interesting to see what a walkthrough is like and see what types of questions are asked. The woman from the client on the phone was really funny and very ready to provide us with any documentation we needed. I have a feeling other people aren't that friendly about it. But I'm glad I got to sit in a walkthrough before I left.

After the walkthrough I got a call from my relationship partner and he told me I officially got an offer for a full-time position. It wasn't really a surprise but it was nice to officially get the news. I told people from my team and I got to celebrate by going out to Morton's Steakhouse for lunch. The food was so good and I enjoyed spending time with the team. That was the last time the whole team would be in one room together before the end of my internship so it was nice to spend my last lunch with them.

On my last day of the internship, I went to a training with some people on my team. After that, I said goodbye to them, turned in my laptop, and left. It very bittersweet leaving, but I know I'll be back in a year which made it easier to leave. I spent the rest of the day packing and getting ready for the intern celebration in Disney World.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Impact at Disney World

PwC Celebration Dinner